ISO/IEC 27001:2013 specifies the requirements for establishing, implementing, maintaining and continually improving an information security management system within the context of the organization. It also includes requirements for the assessment and treatment of information security risks tailored to the needs of the organization. The requirements set out in ISO/IEC 27001:2013 are generic and are intended to be applicable to all organizations, regardless of type, size or nature.
The official complete name of this standard is ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Information technology – Security techniques – Information security management systems – Requirements
The purpose of ISO/IEC 27001 is to help organizations to establish and maintain an information security management system (ISMS). An ISMS is a set of interrelated elements that organizations use to manage and control information security risks and to protect and preserve the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information. These elements include all of the policies, procedures, processes, plans, practices, roles, responsibilities, resources, and structures that are used to manage security risks and to protect information.
What are the main changes?
- The revised standard has been written using the new high level structure, which is common to all new management systems standards. This will make integration straightforward when implementing more than one management system.
- Terminology changes have been made and some definitions have been removed or relocated.
- Risk assessment requirements have been aligned with BS ISO 31000.
- Management commitment requirements have a focus on “leadership”.
- Preventive action has been replaced with “actions to address, risks and opportunities”.
- SOA requirements are similar, with more clarity on the need to determine controls by the risk treatment process
- Controls in Annex A have been modified to reflect changing threats, remove duplication and have a more logical grouping. Specific controls have also been added around cryptography and security in supplier relationships.
- Greater emphasis is on setting objectives, monitoring performance and metrics
Benefits of Implementing ISO/IEC 27001:2013
The benefits of using the standards are as follows:
- Keeps confidential information secure.
- Provides customers and stakeholders with confidence in how you manage risk.
- Allows for secure exchange of information.
- Provide you with a competitive advantage.
- Enhanced customer satisfaction that improves client retention.
- Consistency in the delivery of your service or product.
- Manages and minimizes risk exposure.
- Builds a culture of security.
How can we help?
IQMS consists of full-time trainers and consultants having huge international experience and exposure in ISO 27001:2013 ISMS consulting, implementation and training.
ISO 27001 Consulting
We offer expert consulting services for effective implementation of ISO27001.
IQMS consultants can guide you through the process of gaining certification. They will assist with final preparations to your ISMS, and also act on your behalf when organizing the audit progress. Many clients have found our close involvement to be extremely advantageous during this decisive stage of the process.
Our experts can help us to gain effective implementation of ISMS in your organisation
- Gap Analysis
- Risk Assessment
- Implementation Services
- ISMS Awareness Training
- Pre Audit Service