- August 5, 2020
- Posted by: Sundeep Mehta
- Category: Uncategorized
ISO 45001:2018 specifies requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, and gives guidance for its use, to enable organizations to provide safe and healthy workplaces by preventing work-related injury and ill health, as well as by proactively improving its OH&S performance.
ISO 45001:2018 is applicable to any organization that wishes to establish, implement and maintain an OH&S management system to improve occupational health and safety, eliminate hazards and minimize OH&S risks (including system deficiencies), take advantage of OH&S opportunities, and address OH&S management system nonconformities associated with its activities.
ISO 45001:2018 helps an organization to achieve the intended outcomes of its OH&S management system. Consistent with the organization’s OH&S policy, the intended outcomes of an OH&S management system include:
- Continual improvement of OH&S performance;
- Fulfillment of legal requirements and other requirements;
- Achievement of OH&S objectives.
ISO 45001:2018 brings a number of benefits
- Reduction of workplace incidents
- Reduced absenteeism and staff turnover, leading to increased productivity
- Reduced cost of insurance premiums
- Creation of a health and safety culture, whereby employees are encouraged to take an active role in their own OH&S
- Reinforced leadership commitment to proactively improve OH&S performance • Ability to meet legal and regulatory requirements
- Enhanced reputation
- Improved staff morale
Structure of ISO 45001:2018 standard
2: Normative references
3: Terms and definitions
4: Context of the organization
5: Leadership and worker participation
9: Performance evaluation